Admiring some compostFrom the Comox Valley Echo, Tuesday 8 January 2013, Ask a Pro
I resolve to start composting in 2013. What do I need?
Answer: Excellent resolution! Backyard composting is one of the most effective things an individual can do to improve the environment. There are many ways to compost – a system to fit every situation. Consider:
- Backyard bins (our favourite of course!)
- Indoor vermicomposting with red wiggler worms
- Open three-compartment pens for yard waste
- Trenches or pits buried in your garden
- Communal compost systems for condos, schools and commercial kitchens
- In-ground digesters to dispose of waste rather than produce compost
- Bokashi fermenting systems to pre-digest wastes before further composting
- Or even a basic “chop and drop” composting right on the garden.