Scholar Speedibin Composter
Scholar Speedibin Composter
Our latest Speedibin model is designed with school and community gardens in mind.
If you have been following this model, you'll know that they were back-ordered. But, good news, we have lots now and they look awesome!
- Hand crafted in the Comox Valley, Vancouver Island in Canada by a Red Seal carpenter.
- Designed to be ideal for school and community gardens.
- Tough durable construction.
- Can be padlocked.
- Can be used as a work table.
- Corrugated galvanized sheet metal and red cedar.
- Yellow cedar inside in the corners that touch the compost as yellow cedar is even more rot-resistant.
- Sturdy construction prevents animals from chewing in.
- A metal screen on the bottom prevents animals from tunneling in.
- The large lid locks to preclude raccoons and dogs and allow easy access for mixing or adding materials.
- The front door lifts right out for easy removal of compost.
- Assembled dimensions are:
- 30 x 30 x 30.5 inches (76 x 76 x 78 cm) outside.
- 27 x 27 x 29 inches (69 x 69 x 73 cm) inside.
- Capacity is 92 US gallons (348 litres).
- Shipping weight 52 lbs (23 kg).
- Includes a comprehensive 16-page Composting Handbook.
- Best in industry 10-year warranty!
- Designed by avid gardeners and compost enthusiasts to be the ideal compost bin.
- $649 Can$
Shipping is by courier using the Freightcom platform. The rate can be calculated when you add an item to the cart and then view the cart. There will be a list of many couriers but from what we have observed, there is no advantage in choosing a more expensive courier. To Vancouver Island and the lower mainland, rates are typically $25 to 35. Across Canada, it is more like $45 to 60. To the US, rates are typically $65 to 95. The side panels come off for shipping so the bin fits in a box 9 inches high (23 cm). Shipping weight is 45 lbs (20 kg). Or if you live anywhere near the Comox Valley, you are welcome to pick up a bin from us in Merville. Chose "Local Pickup in Comox Valley BC (By Appointment) at $0.00 CAD". We can assemble it for you, too, and show you how we use our bin. Email or phone first so we stay here and don't wander off.
The Deluxe and Classic Speedibins are ideal for home composting. If you need a composter for a school or community garden, we recommend the Scholar Speedibin as they are tougher to withstand kids leaping on them. And a lot of gardeners like the look. However they probably won't last as long since the cedar will eventually rot. Scholar Speedibins will last about 15 years, as opposed to the all-metal Deluxe and Classic bins which last 25 or 30 years. We're always working to build the ideal composter!
"Backyard composting is arguably the single most effective activity individuals can do to help the environment." It is the most cost-effective solution to organic waste. Compost adds essential nutrients to the soil, which feeds plants. Now with the Speedibin, composting is a safe, easy and fun way to feed the soil!